Works from the collection
Eugène Atget: Cabaret du petit Maure, 26 rue de Seine, 1911
The building, photographed in 1911 by the French photographer Eugène Atget, is located in the Saint-Germain-des-Prés district of Paris, a district traditionally popular with artists. According to the database of the French Ministry of Culture, the building, which still exists, dates back to the 17th or 18th centuries and was a pub with the name "Au petit Maure" for a long time.
Eugène Atget, (* 1857 Libourne, † 1927 Paris), had finally settled in Paris around 1897. For a few years he had been a member of a group of traveling actors, served in the army, began studying drama in Paris, worked on painting, until finally photography became his main profession and the city of Paris his main motive. Representative boulevards, backyards, parks, squares and street corners, stalls, shop facades, entrances, stairwells and interiors - in Atget's extensive documentation, the metropolis unfolds in all its diversity and down to the smallest detail. The immediate and object-related photographs were popular as templates for painters and architects, for example, libraries and museums also bought from Atget during their lifetime. The artists of Surrealism were fascinated by his motifs, for whom the everyday, often deserted sceneries seemed like objets trouvés.
A breakthrough for Atget was the encounter with the American photographer Berenice Abbott in 1927, who recognized the independent and high artistic value of his photographic work and promoted the estate after his death. She bought up large parts and succeeded in publishing photographs of Eugène Atget in exhibitions and publications. Not the least thanks to Berenice Abbott's initiative, hisd work is still unforgettable today.
Die Photographische Sammlung/SK Stiftung Kultur